Wednesday, October 31, 2007

inquiry project and article

I did not think that there was an article in Cross Talk In Comp Theory that was about my topic as a whole. However, I do think that perhaps Nancy Sommers article that deals with student writers and experienced writers could be applied. In her article she talks about the process that an student writer goes through and the process that an experienced writer goes through when revising. An experienced writer will look at the whole paper and focus on the ideas while a student writer will simply look at grammar problems. I think that this can somehow relate to my topic with the fact that experienced writers have been exposed to more advanced literature and other types of texts where as a student writer has not had the same amount of experiences with other discourse communities that perhaps an experienced writer has had. May be this cna tie into my topic but we'll see I think it might be a stretch.

2 comments:

luke said...

Hey, I was doing my own research and came across an article that might relate to your topic. I'm not sure what age you plan on studying but this article looks at reading and writing centers.

The Abstract:
Little research has discussed how writing center tutors can help postsecondary students develop skill in reading. Via individual interviews, this investigator collected data from eleven writing center tutors at a large urban public university. Analysis of this data suggests that while nearly all of the tutors lacked specific knowledge of how reading can be learned, all viewed reading theory as important to their writing center work.

I'm not sure which link will connect you to the page but try either:
http://proxy.elmhurst.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eric&AN=EJ747772&site=ehost-live

or

http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=3&hid=105&sid=186238c4-4355-4268-a7ed-a87aa1b35b57%40sessionmgr108

Bridget O'Rourke said...

Crystal, I also have a book chapter that may interest you. I'll give it to you in class.

BKO